Making takeaway a HOT option
5 February 2016
A new scheme is helping takeaway businesses across the borough to offer healthier choices to their customers.
The Healthier Options Takeaway (HOT) scheme was launched in January by Nottinghamshire County Council with partners from the environmental health teams at Nottinghamshire’s district councils.
The HOT scheme aims to reduce obesity across the county by rewarding takeaways and sandwich shops who make simple changes to how they prepare, cook or display their food to make it that little bit healthier.
There are lots of simple steps businesses can take to make their food healthier without compromising on taste, or having a negative effect on their business, for example:
• Grilling, baking, poaching or steaming food instead of frying it
• Removing salt pots so customers don’t just add it automatically
• Offering wholegrain pasta, brown rice or wholegrain bread
• Offering a vegetable side or salad as a part of a meal option
• Switching from double cream to single cream, yoghurt or half fat crème fraiche
• Promoting water or low sugar drinks
• Offering smaller portion options for adults.
In Rushcliffe 62% of adults are overweight or obese and the HOT scheme is just part of a wider approach to tackling obesity in Nottinghamshire. Excess weight and poor diet is linked to a range of long term illnesses including type-2 diabetes, cardio-vascular disease, heart disease and certain cancers.
In Rushcliffe, there are currently 13 businesses who have been awarded a HOT scheme merit. They are:
- Bryer's, 13 Gotham Road, East Leake
- Café Olive, 3 Radcliffe Road, West Bridgford
- Café Vita at Rushcliffe Leisure Centre, Boundary Road, West Bridgford
- Chef's Café, 6a Gotham Road, East Leake
- Circle Eatery, 7 Market Place, Bingham
- Crumbs, 5 Radcliffe Road, West Bridgford
- Mrs Bunns, 28 Musters Road, West Bridgford
- Pranzo, 93a Melton Road, West Bridgford
- Relish, 5 Trent House, Pavilion Road, West Bridgford
- Snack Stop, 50 Bingham Road, Radcliffe on Trent
- Tall Frog, 99 Melton Road, West Bridgford
- Tea at Marias, 56 Grantham Road, Radcliffe on Trent
- The Chocolate Box and Coffee House,1 Walkers Yard, Radcliffe on Trent
Businesses: If you have a takeaway business and would like to apply for the merit please visit the HOT webpage for a self assessment form, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0115 981 9911.
Customers: To find a HOT approved takeaway near you visit www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/care/health-and-wellbeing/healthier-options-takeaways