Cycle thefts in Rushcliffe
25 May 2016
Bike theft has taken an uphill turn in Rushcliffe and West Bridgford town centre is a particular hotspot area for thefts. This crime is often organised and high value bikes have been targeted but all bikes, regardless of value or condition, are at risk.
If you’re cycling in West Bridgford, remember that you can park your bike on Central Avenue in the secure cycle hub in Bridgford Road car park which has 24 hour CCTV protection. You just need a Nottingham Citycard to get access - go to www.citycardnottingham.co.uk/get-a-citycard.html to find out how or visit the Travel Centre at the Broadmarsh Bus Station.
Here’s some top tips to make sure your bike isn’t stolen:
- Always lock it when unattended, even in the shed
- Lock your bike using a strong, quality lock
- Always lock your bike in a visible, well-lit area - avoid quiet areas
- Security mark your bike with a marking pen and kit (visit www.creproducts.co.uk for details)
- Register your bike and other valuables for free at www.immobilise.com to improve your chances of getting them back if they are stolen.
Come along to one of our bike security sessions
To help reduce bike thefts, with the Police we’ll be holding a number of bike security sessions over the coming months, to include:
- Swapping a weak lock for a strong metal one
- Security marking the bike
- Registering the bike to a property database
- Security advice
The first session will be at Gamston Community Hall (near Morrisons) on Thursday 16 June from 3pm – 6pm.