You are here :

Don’t get in a pickle! Tell us when things change

4 November 2016

We've launched a campaign to remind people that they must tell us when their circumstances change if they claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction. Because if you don’t, you could end in up in a pickle with a bill to pay.

No one wants to end up owing money so please make sure you tell us straight away if:

  • Your earnings have gone up
  • Your childcare costs have changed
  • Someone else has moved in with you
  • Your savings have gone up
  • Your private pension has gone up
  • The benefits you receive have changed
  • You have changed address

If your circumstances change and you are not sure whether your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reductionwill be affected, tell us anyway.

The amount of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction you receive depends on your circumstances and the circumstances of others living with you.

You must tell us if anyone in your household’s circumstances change, as it has a bearing on your claim. Failure to report changes could result in a having to pay a bill for any overpayments. In more serious cases you could end up being prosecuted or fined. 

How to tell us if your circumstances change

You can tell us about any changes in your circumstances which could affect your entitlement:

  • by phone on 0115 981 9911 (Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm)
  • by email to
  • online 
  • face-to-face at the Rushcliffe Community Contact Centre (Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm)

You may need to send us original supporting documents to confirm the change. If you notify us of a change of circumstances electronically, we’ll write to you if we need any further information.

Rate this page

How do you rate this information / service?
This page is okay
This page needs improving

Contact Us

Contact Us

Rushcliffe Borough Council Communications