Information about the Data Protection Act 1998.
The Data Protection Act 1998 set out eight rules that we must follow when we are processing any information we hold about you, not just computerised information but also manual records. These rules are known as the Data Protection Principles and state that personal data shall:
- be processed fairly and lawfully.
- only be obtained for specific purposes and be processed in a compatible manner.
- be adequate, relevant and not excessive.
- be accurate and up to date.
- not be kept longer than is necessary.
- be processed in accordance with the rights of the data subject.
- be kept secure.
- only be transferred outside the European Economic Area if there is adequate protection.
Subject to limited exceptions you have a right to see what information we hold about you. A request for personal data information, known as a subject access request, should be made in writing and sent to the Head of Corporate Services at the address below:
- Rushcliffe Arena, Rugby Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham, NG2 7YG.
To help us deal with your request we will need you to:
- Supply enough information so that the data can be located. We can only supply what you request.
- The Act allows us to make a charge of £10 to supply the information. We will inform you on receipt of your request whether we will make a charge for providing the information.
- Provide satisfactory proof that you are the data subject or acting on behalf of the data subject.
- Acknowledge your request.
- Provide a response within 40 days provided that any required fee has been paid.
- Make sure we are dealing with you and no one else.
If you have concerns about the processing of your personal data by us you may contact the Data Protection Officer:
- By post to the Borough Solicitor, Rushcliffe Borough Council, Rushcliffe Arena, Rugby Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham, NG2 7YG.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Telephone: 0115 981 9911.
Alternatively, you can contact The Office of the Information Commissioner:
- Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
If the information you are looking for is not your personal information it may be available under the Freedom of information act.