There are many sites around Rushcliffe where you can see wildlife and enjoy the countryside. Please remember to follow the Countryside Code.
The Countryside Code
- Be safe - plan ahead and follow any signs
- Leave gates and property as you find them
- Protect plants and animals, and take your litter home
- Keep dogs under close control
- Consider other people.
Access to the Countryside
When visiting sites, please use public transport, walk or cycle where possible. Find out more about using green transport.
Some areas have been opened to the public through government grants to landowners. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) provides information on .
The Woodland Trust maintains a website with details of woodlands to visit online at Woodland Trust Visiting Woods.
Places to Visit
Green spaces open to the public within Rushcliffe:
- Bingham Linear Walk - See Bingham Linear Park
- Bunny Old Wood - See Bunny Old Wood
- Cotgrave Country Park - See Cotgrave County Park
- Dewberry Hill - Heath and wood, in an open space above Radcliffe-on-Trent. Access is by the public footpath surrounding the site. Managed by Radclffe on Trent parish council
- Fishponds Wood, Owthorpe - See Fishpond Friends
- Grantham Canal - See Waterscape - Grantham Canal or Grantham Canal website
- Gresham Marsh - A grazed pasture with marshy areas. Access from Wilford Lane. Owned by the Environment Agency.
- Holme Pierrepont Country Park - See Holme Pierrepont County Park
- Keyworth Meadow - See Keyworth Meadow
- Large Green and Little Green, Car Colston - Areas of traditional common land within the village. Access is via roads and public footpaths.
- Manor Farm Animal Centre and Donkey Sanctuary, East Leake - See Manor Farm
- Meadow Park, East Leake - See Meadow Park
- Naturescape Wildflower Farm, Langar - See Naturescape
- Orston Millenium Green, Orston - See Orston Millennium Green Trust.
- Radcliffe-on-Trent River Cliffs - A walk following the top of the river cliffs. Mostly tarmaced and flat. Access from Rockley Park, Park Road, Radclffe on Trent parish council.
- Rushcliffe Country Park, Ruddington - See Rushcliffe Country Park or Friends of Rushcliffe Country Park.
- Sharphill Wood, Edwalton - Friends of Sharphill Wood
- Skylarks, Holme Pierrepont - See Skylarks Nature Reserve
- Springdale Wood, East Bridgford - See Springale Wood
- Sutton Bonington Meadow and Copse - A four hectare site containing grassland, woodland, a dyke and a pond. Ridge and furrow patterns can be seen in the meadow. Adjacent to the River Soar. Owned by Sutton Bonington Parish Council.
- The Hook / Trent Field, Ladybay - See Friends of The Hook
- The Green Line - See Green Line Conservation
- Upper Saxondale Community Nature Reserve – This is an area of informally managed grassland area with hedgerow and tree boundaries. An area of woodland and wildflower meadow and a circular path were installed in 2006. owned by Upper Saxondale Resident Assocation.
- Wilford Claypits - See Wilford Claypits
- Willoughby Wood, Willoughby on the Wolds - See Willoughby Woods
- Wilwell Farm Cutting - See Wilwell Farm Cutting
Please see also our Nature in Rushcliffe leaflet which can be downloaded from the related documents box on the right hand side of this page
Further Information on many of these sites can be seen on: