Large unwanted items
Making a booking
The first item will cost £16.00, any other item thereafter will be charged at £7.75. There are no concessions. Collections are normally made on Tuesdays (for non scrap metal items) and you will be able to choose a suitable date from those available when you make a booking.
If you have a shed that needs collecting, please ring us for a quote on 0115 981 9911 as sheds are not charged at the above rate.
You can now make a booking online or you can call our Customer Services Centre on 0115 981 9911 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Payment will be taken in advance over the telephone using your credit or debit card.
Collections are normally made on Tuesdays for non-scrap metal items (dining tables, chairs).
Leave your items outside your property in a place where we can get to them as near as possible to where the refuse vehicle will pass, but not on the public highway (ie the road or pavement). A collection date will be confirmed with you when you book.
The Council no longer offers a scrap metal collection. It is important that you use a reputable scrap metal dealer and that are registered to collect scrap metal within the Rushcliffe area. There are four registered dealers that can collect scrap metal items and who have current Waste Carriers Licences (WCL) issued by the Environment Agency. It is important that who ever you use, is registered and in date with both Rushcliffe & The Environment Agency.
- Mr E Turner - 07758 742 418 - Registration with Rushcliffe that expires on 11th November 2019. WCL = CBDU120882 which expires on 11th July 2019
- Mr J Spring - 07967 283 811 - Registration with Rushcliffe that expires 21st November 2019. WCL = CBDU161954 which expires on 8th March 2020
- Mr A Sommerville - 07988 070611- Registration with Rushcliffe that expires 11th November 2019. WCL = CBDU42828which expires on 13th April 2018
- Mr K Ferns - 07766724867- Registration with Rushcliffe that expires 13th January 2020. WCL = CBDU89787 which expires on 6th March 2019.
Registered scrap dealers can collect cookers, washing machines and other scrap metal items. Please note that the collection is an agreement between you and the collector and they may charge for the service.
Frequently asked questions
Can I put my old items to good use, rather than just scrapping them?
Contact a local charity of your items are in a reasonable condition. Use our A-Z of Waste to see what you can do with different items. Contact us for more information.
What can be collected?
We will collect household items such as beds, sofas, chairs, dining tables, carpets, garden furniture and fixtures and fittings.
We have to make clear distinctions about what 'one' item means. Our guidelines are that if something is of no use on its own then it doesn't count as an item. For example:
- A bed, mattress and headboard counts as one item because a headboard and mattress are only ever used with a bed
- A three piece suite counts as three items - the chairs would be perfectly useable without the sofa
- Items in a bathroom suite are separate items - a toilet doesn't require a bath to be useful.
Please note: collections are made using a standard refuse vehicle. In a very small number of cases, it may not be possible to collect your item because it could damage the vehicle or pose a health and safety risk to our staff. When you arrange your collection, our customer services staff will ask you some questions about the size and approximate weight of the item.
What if i do not want to use your service?
You can take any unwanted items to a Household Waste Recycling Centre (the tip) www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/waste-and-recycling
What can't be collected?
This service does not collect commercial or industrial waste, builders' rubble, paving slabs, hazardous/chemical waste, pesticides, oils and any items that are too large to be safely lifted into our vehicles. For more information, please contact us. Read more about the collection of hazardous waste, commercial/trade waste, medical waste, and asbestos.
Why do I need to pay in advance?
It is less time consuming and more efficient.
You can either pay over the phone, online or visit the Rushcliffe Customer Contact Centre, Rectory Road or the Central Works Depot at Abbey Road to pay by credit/debit card. You could also send a cheque/postal order with the following details:
- Contact number
- Number of items for collection
- Description of items for collection.
Once we have received your payment we will contact you to book a suitable date.
What if I change my mind - can I get a refund?
If you no longer require the service, please let us know so we can cancel the booking and refund you the money.