" />
You are here :

Personal licenses

A personal licence allows the holder to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol from premises with a premises licence or temporary events notice.

Who qualifies for a personal licence?

To qualify for a personal licence you must:

  • Be over 18 years of age
  • Not have forfeited a personal licence within 5 years
  • Not have been convicted of a relevant or foreign offence
  • Possess an accredited licensing qualification.

Do all the staff at my premises need to hold a personal licence?

No. The only person who must hold one is the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) - see Premises Licences for further information. However, all supply of alcohol under a premises licence must be authorised by a person who holds a personal licence.

How long do personal licences last and what will they cost?

They will be valid indefinitely, and the cost is £37.

What do I need to do to obtain a personal license?

You need to pass a recognised licensing qualification and you must provide a Dislosure and Barring Service Check.  It is up to the applicant to arrange a Basic DBS check via https://www.mygov.scot/disclosure-types/?via=http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/.

For a new personal licences you will need to supply the following:

  • Two photographs endorsed as a true likeness by a professional person
  • Your licensing qualification (more information can be found at the BIIAB website or EDI website)
  • Your 'basic' level DBS check certificate 
  • A completed application form, which includes details of any relevant or foreign offence
  • The prescribed fee which is £37.

Personal licence forms

For new personal licences or changes to your licence:

Renewal of Personal Licences

As from 6th April  2015 the Government have passed legislation that there is no longer a requirement to renewal personal licences.

Holder are reminded that there is still a requirement to notify the authority of any change of address.

Who can object to the grant of a personal licence?

Only the Police can object if you have been convicted of a relevant or foreign offence, and they believe that by granting you a personal licence, it would undermine the crime and disorder licensing objective.

Will I need to get a new licence if my circumstances change?

No, but you will need to notify the licensing authority if you change your name or address, or if you are convicted of a relevant or foreign offence.

Can I have my licence taken away?

Yes, it could be suspended or revoked if you are convicted of a relevant offence.

What is a relevant or foreign offence?

The offences that are listed in schedule four to the The Licensing Act are all relevant offences. A 'foreign offence' is an offence (other than a relevant offence) under the law of any place outside England and Wales.

Register of personal licence applications

View all liquor licensing applications online via the our public licence register.